The reasons why you should never drink water while standing
It is not a matter about drinking 8 glasses of water a day to keep yourself healthy and hydrated. It matters in what position you drink the water. Do you sit and drink water, or normally have it in passing, while standing?
Some experts have disclosed that it is no old wives tale when the elders in the family ask you to sit down and then gulp your water. In fact, it is a gem of a piece of advice that you had better heed to for a healthy living. To make the most of the water we drink it is advised to sit down and have it in small sips than glug it down in a rush while standing.
The reasons why you should not drink water while standing:
1. Standing and drinking water can cause arthritis: This may come as a greater shock to you if you have been in a practice of drinking water in a standing position, for you may well be affected by arthritis later in life. By drinking water standing you disrupt the balance of fluids in the body, and this often leads to a greater accumulation of fluids in the joints thus triggering arthritis.
2. Water splashes on the stomach wall while standing: Health experts have said that by having water fast and in a standing position, you let it flow to your gut while splashing on the stomach wall. This shock from the splashing of water can cause long term damage to the digestive system as it harms the stomach wall and the gastrointestinal tract.
3. You remain thirsty when you drink water standing: Your thirst is never fully quenched when you drink water in a standing position. You feel like drinking more water very frequently. It is better to sit in a place and have smaller sips to truly quench your thirst.
4. You always face indigestion when you drink water standing: When you drink water sitting down your muscles and nervous system are much more relaxed and it triggers the nerves to immediately digest the fluid and with it other food items.
5. Your kidney doesn’t filter water properly when standing position: Drinking water in a standing position doesn’t help the filtration process of water by the kidneys. Often impurities remain in the kidneys and bladder which can lead to urinary tract disorder and even permanent damage to the kidneys.
6. Drinking water in standing position doesn’t dilute the acid levels in the body: Even Ayurveda mentions it that water must be consumed in slow, small swigs while sitting down. This helps to properly dilute the acid levels in the body by getting combined with the necessary proportion of water.
7. Drinking water by standing causes ulcers and heartburn: When you drink water in a standing position it ends up splashing the lower half of the esophagus very hard. This in return can disturb the sphincter, which is the joint between the stomach and esophagus, and as a result the esophagus experiences burning sensation because of the acids in the stomach flowing backward.
8. Your nerves are tense when you drink water standing
When you drink water standing, a ‘fight and flight: system’ is activated which causes nerve tension in the body. But when you sit down and sip water, a parasympathetic system also referred to as the ‘rest and digest system’ comes into fray, this one helps to calm your senses and ease the process of digestion.