Toll rises to 14 in Brazil building collapse

Share

Fourteen people have died in the partial collapse of an illegally occupied building in northeastern Brazil, the authorities said Saturday, as they concluded a search for survivors.

Earlier, a toll of 11 dead was announced, but firefighters searching through the debris later found the bodies of a woman and two children following the collapse Friday in Paulista, a city in the state of Pernambuco.

The dead included men, women and children, aged five to 45, according to a statement Saturday from the Pernambuco civil defense services.

Three people — a 65-year-old woman and two adolescents — were rescued. The authorities provided no information on their condition.

The three-story structure, which was attached to a larger housing complex, had been closed in 2010 due to a risk of collapse but had been illegally occupied since then, the authorities said.

In April, a building in similar condition collapsed in the city of Olinda, also in Pernambuco, leaving six people dead.

Building collapses in Brazil generally happen in poorer neighborhoods where illegal construction is rampant.

In 2020, two irregularly constructed buildings in a poor neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro collapsed after days of intense rainfall. Twenty-four people died.

Recent Posts

  • Technology News

You Need to Know Before Buying a Flagship Mobile in Bangladesh

Harun Ar Rashid : The price of a flagship mobile phone is very high. There… Read More

5 days ago
  • National

CA confers Independence Award on 7 distinguished persons

Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus today conferred the Independence Award-2025 on seven luminary individuals in… Read More

1 week ago
  • National

Home Ministry issues 15 instructions for maintaining law and order eyeing Eid

The Home Ministry today issued a set of 15 directives to maintain the overall law… Read More

1 week ago
  • National

CA inquires about health condition of Tamim Iqbal

Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus today inquired about the health condition of former national cricket… Read More

1 week ago
  • World News

Sadarghat terminal sees passengers rush, stringent security on Eid

Country's busiest and largest launch terminal Sadarghat is revitalized this year as Eid holidaymakers are… Read More

1 week ago
  • World News

Iran unveils missile systems on strategic Gulf islands

Iran's Revolutionary Guards have unveiled new missile systems on three strategic islands in the Gulf,… Read More

2 weeks ago